It is hard to believe that it has been a year since I last posted to this blog. I had such high hopes for myself that I would continue posting in hopes of making a difference for others in the same position as us. This past year basically kicked my ass and it has been a constant struggle to find a great balance of staff and therapists. We have had many support workers come and go and even switched up some approaches to therapy. It finally dawned on me months and months ago that we were not going to find what we left when we moved. I realized changes needed to be made so we decided to get creative with how rehab was going to happen. One of the major successes we have had, is that since we could not find a speech therapist anywhere near the calibre we needed to alter the approach. Since technology is an amazing thing, we started Skype sessions with the SLP we used to have. She may be 3 hours away but with this style of rehab the quality of therapy is unchanged and there is no travel expensies required. It may not work for everyone but it works for us. Anyone who knows me knows that the travel expenses associated with rehab are hard to swallow since the cost is almost the same as the actual therapy. If there is a way to use the rehab money more effectively this technique is it. However, it may not work for everyone, especially those in the early stages of recovery. I am happy to say that this is one of the few rehab changes we have made since moving that has been beneficial. Hopefully there will be more to come! I am trying to be patient.
Good for you and Shawn sticking with it until you did find something that works. The road to success is not always as straight as we would like. =^..^=